Group Head of Science & Mathematics
Group Head of Science & Mathematics
Expiry date: 23:59, 26 March 2017
Newcastle & Stafford Colleges Group is financially one of the strongest of its kind in the country with very high success rates, amongst the top 10% nationally.
In November 2016 Newcastle-under-Lyme College merged with Stafford College to form the Newcastle & Stafford Colleges Group. The group is currently home to a population of over 4,600 full-time students and around 620 students on higher education programmes. We have over 2,000 part-time or adult learners and 2,000 apprentices where we work with over 800 individual employers.
This is an exciting new opportunity to lead on Science and Mathematics, building on the strength of our current provision at NULC and helping launch the new sixth form department in the brand new refurbished STEM centre on our Stafford site. The successful candidate will have responsibility for the curriculum area across both sites and combined responsibility for A-level Sciences and Maths, GCSE Science and vocational science courses, along with shared responsibility for existing HE science provision.
As a key member of the Academic & Creative Arts Management Team you will have scope to broaden your experience and in particular there will be opportunities for the further development of new programmes.
Your focus will be on three core areas: curriculum development, raising standards of teaching and learning and the leadership of staff. To be successful in this we believe you should have significant post-qualification teaching experience and a proven track record of motivating and leading people to achieve excellence. You should also have experience in, and be able to contribute to the teaching of one or more programme areas offered within the curriculum area.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Building on the strength of the A level centre on the Newcastle site support the Assistant Director in introducing a new A level sixth form centre focused on STEM on the Stafford site.
- Develop a flexible and innovative curriculum that is responsive to feedback from current learners and anticipates likely changes in demand from future learners.
- Continually improve standards of course performance and teaching and learning across all areas within the curriculum area.
- Provide clear leadership to all the staff within the curriculum area so that the Colleges group can achieve its overall objective of being excellent in all areas.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Holds an appropriate academic or professional qualification.
- Has a full teaching qualification at level 5 or above.
- Is experienced in teaching on programmes within the curriculum area.
- Has interpersonal, motivational and communication skills of the highest order.
- Can demonstrate a clear strategic vision for the curriculum area.
- Has a good knowledge and understanding of the issues affecting teaching and learning within the curriculum area and affecting the FE sector in general.
- Is able to work as a member of a closely-knit team, making a positive contribution to the management of the area and its growing success on two college sites.
What’s in it for you?
The college offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Excellent Training and Development Opportunities
- 35 Days annual leave per year (plus 8 bank holidays and a 2 week closure period at Christmas)
How to apply
For further information please go to our vacancies page at www.nulc.ac.uk/jobs and click on ‘Apply’ to Complete an application form.
The closing date for completed applications is 26th March 2017.
NSCG is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All college based positions are subject to enhanced DBS check and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.